Propeller

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mavado Gets September Trial, Arrest Warrant Extended


International dancehall entertainer Mavado, who is accused of  assaulting a member of the police force during an altercation at a nightclub which left a member of his entourage dead, is to stand trial next month before the Corporate Area Criminal Court.

The trial was set to commence today, however, his attorney, Peter Champagnie, told the court that he wasn't ready to proceed. Mr Champagnie told senior magistrate Georgiana Fraser that he needed more time to prepare the case.

He also told the court that his client was overseas on business. As a result an arrest warrant which was issued for Mavado in May, was extended by the magistrate until September 27.

Mavado, whose given name is David Brooks, has had several run-ins with the law over the past two years. It's reported that on June 13, last year, the entertainer and members of his crew were involved in an altercation with members of the police force at the entrance to the Quad nightclub in New Kingston.

During the altercation, its alleged that the artiste punched one ofpolicemen in the face. Gunfire then rang out and following the melee, 31 year old Conroy Edwards, a member of his entourage, was shot. Mr Edwards was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

In Court this morning, Mr Champagnie, disclosed that the policeman, who was present in court, was under investigation for murder. Mr Champagnie reported that INDECOM which investigated the incident, recently submitted a file to the Director of Public Prosecutions for a ruling.

In January, Mavado complained about the length of time it was taking the authorities to investigate the shooting death of his friend. He claimed that he and five other eyewitnesses gave statements to the police about the incident in which he said he was also assaulted.  

He also noted that allegations made against him led to his arrest within hours of the incident.